FAQs After a Car Accident
Lots of questions arise after a car accident. The topics of these questions can range from things like documentation to hiring an Atlanta car accident attorney. Let’s look at some of frequently asked questions about what to do after a car accident.
Should I Call the Police After a Car Accident?
Here’s a scenario: You get out of the car after an accident and there’s damage to the car but it’s just a fender bender. The other car driver begs you to not call the police. They may even offer you cash on the spot to cover any damage to your car.
It may be tempting to accept the cash and not call the police or avoid a hassle and let it go. However, even if fixing the car is not a big deal to you right now, the cost of fixing it up will hit you hard when you want to repair or sell it later.
If you want to be compensated, the police need to be notified in order to determine what happened and who is at fault. Police provide valuable documentation that will provide a foundation for an insurance claim.
What Information Do I Need to Collect After an Accident?
- A record of any injuries you received. This is important because personal injury is much more a part of the compensation equation than damage to your car.
- Time and date of the accident and where it happened. Include street names, the lane you were in, and circumstances of the accident.
- You need a list of everyone involved. This includes drivers and passengers as well as any witnesses to the accident.
- Get a good description of the vehicles involved. This isn’t just the color or type of vehicle but also make and model as well as license number.
- You need the insurance information for the other driver(s) in the accident. This is important for reimbursement by the at fault party.
The police should collect all the above information and put it on the accident report, however it is good for you to have all this information as a backup while you are waiting for your report.
Should I Get A Personal Injury Attorney After A Car Accident?
If it’s a fender bender you probably don’t need one, but if the accident is more serious there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have a consultation with a personal injury attorney.
A personal injury attorney can offer advice on compensation and discuss your options so no one involved in the accident will take advantage of you.
If you’re not sure where to start, call Fast Help’s car accident helpline at (404) 592-0318. We refer car accident injury victims to qualified personal injury attorney who will make sure you get the compensation you deserve. We can also connect you with Atlanta personal injury doctors who specialize in accident injury treatment. Contact us today and we’ll put you in touch with the medical and legal professionals who can get you on the road to recovery.